What is a CSA?
Our Farm to Table CSA or Community Supported Agriculture program is a subscription-based produce purchase plan. Your yearly one-time subscription payment provides the funding for the farmer(s) to grow the produce, and it then provides you, the consumer and subscriber, with a weekly bounty of fresh produce lasting the first Saturday in June and going through the last Saturday in October.
Choose a Share Option
Received Two Free Tote Bags
Double Share of Weekly Produce
Perfect for Mid to Large Families
10% Off In-Store Discount on Pick-Up Days
Received One Free Tote Bag
Single Share of Weekly Produce
Perfect for Individuals and Couples
10% Off In-Store Discount on Pick-Up Days
Farm Fresh Egg Add On
Half Dozen Farm Fresh Eggs$55.00
Alsip Home & Nursery’s Farm to Table CSA has partnered with Pioneering Pig Homestead out of North Judson, IN to offer members the opportunity of adding a half dozen eggs to their weekly share! Chickens from Pioneering Pig Homestead are raised free-range and supplemented with conventional feed. Now you can enjoy farm fresh eggs on a weekly basis! Need more? Add a quantity of two to your shopping cart to receive a full dozen eggs on share pick-up days. These egg offerings are limited, don’t delay!
Receive 22 weeks of Eggs starting the first Saturday in June all the way through the last Saturday in October.
Egg only members do not qualify for free tote bag or the 10% Alsip Nursery Discount on Pick-Up Days. Pair with a CSA Full or Half Share to experience these benefits!
What Can a CSA Subscription Mean for Me?
- You will join a community of like-minded people forming a network of individuals participating in an alternative, locally-based economic and eco-conscious model of agriculture and food distribution.
is an alternative, locally-based economic model.
- Most of your weekly produce needs will be provided through CSA shares. A Half Share is good for 1-3 people. A Full Share is good for 4-6 people.
- Weekly pick-ups happen every Saturday from 10AM – 2PM, June – October.
*There is often flexibility available here, as long as arrangements are made in advance with the CSA Coordinator. Contact for questions about pickup day/time
- A free tote bag(s) to pick up your produce. These reusable bags are great for all of your other groceries too!
- Your savings on produce will leave more room in your budget. Fuller pantry AND fuller wallet. Prepayment for the whole season’s produce = HUGE savings (We’ve calculated 20-30% on average.)
- You won’t have to worry about whether or not your produce is coming from Mexico.
- You will be supporting local farmers, non-profit organizations, and foundations who provide resources and training to our developmentally-disabled citizens.
- CSA Membership keytag for exclusive savings at Alsip Home & Nursery! Use your CSA member card to save 10% on Alsip Home & Nursery products on CSA pick-up days June – October. Discount is taken before tax; excludes gift cards, delivery, Weber products, and livestock. Cannot be combined with Military Discount.
- Join the conversation by sharing your recipes and food pics with #AlsipCSA In return we’ll post weekly recipes to go along with your veggies; especially to help you use items that may be foreign to you.
Meet our CSA Farmers/Growers
Alsip Home and Nursery grows some of the produce found in a CSA subscription but we also rely on local growers.
- Bothwell Farms – Manhattan, IL
- Hardin Farms – Eau Claire, MI
- Planting Possibilities – Schererville, IN
- Peep, Inc. – Dixon, IL
- Pioneering Pig Homestead – North Judson, IN
Frequently Asked Questions
Where does the food come from?
A few sources: Alsip Home & Nursery and local farmers who have teamed up with our Farm to Table program.
Is the food all organic?
All of the food is organically grown, but not certified organic. We are not adding any chemicals or pesticides. Organic fertilizer and pest control methods are used.
Do you allow mix and match?
We typically try to give an even assortment of what is ready at a given time, but we will make exceptions. We’ll sometimes have an either/or selections.
Is the produce NON-GMO?
Much of the produce is heirloom and/or NON-GMO. All produce that is NON-GMO will be labeled as such.
What are the pickup times?
Saturdays 10 AM – 2 PM, June through October
Where do I pick up?
Pick up locations are our 2 store locations, Frankfort, IL or St. John, IN. You choose your preferred location when you sign up for your share. Your pickup location will stay the same for the entire season.
What happens if there is extra produce available?
If we have excess food for a given week we will have it available for sale to people both members and non. We then try to donate as much as possible to families in need in our communities or to our Small Animal Department.
What do I do with all of these strange vegetables?
So glad you asked! Here’s some recipes and tips to make the most of your bounty! We also encourage you to network with other members and share ideas and recipes. Our Farm to Table Facebook page is perfect for this!
What comes in a share?
It varies by time of season and what is ready at a given time but a typical half-share has 7-8 items. An example share would contain: 4 ears of corn, 2 bell peppers, bag of mixed salad greens, 5 apples, 2 bunches of herbs, 4 tomatoes, 2 zucchini, and 3 banana peppers. View here what our shares consisted of through the 2015 and 2016 seasons.
Email Ben Tyler, CSA Coordinator or call the St. John store at (219) 365-7407 to speak to him.