Many of us love gardening because of the meditative quality is has— toiling around in the sunshine and fresh air is a total breeze. But, there’s still that one part of gardening that isn’t always met with cheers of enthusiasm: weeding. Crawling around the yard and yanking out stubborn weeds can be surprisingly physically demanding, but the good news is, we’ve got some other proven methods for weed control available here in St John, IN & Frankfort, IL that won’t leave you with a bunch of aches and pains the next morning.
Obviously, if you want to keep weeds out of your yard, stopping their growth before it starts is a good plan. To stop those aggressive seedlings in their tracks, try these preventative methods of weed control:
- Lawn Aerators – Having healthy, thick grass with strong roots will make it tougher for weeds to find space to grow, and lawn aerators are great for improving soil conditions so your grass can strengthen and spread. It reduces soil compaction and reduces lawn thatch, making it easier for grass roots to develop, so running an aerator over your lawn once every spring will put you off to a good start.
- Keep Grass Longer — When your grass is short, more sunshine hits the soil surface, providing tiny sprouting weeds with the light they need to develop. Try to cut your grass on one of the higher settings on your lawnmower, enough to keep it long without looking totally unkept.
- Corn Gluten Weed Preventer — Our formula from Jonathan Green contains organic corn gluten, which naturally stops crabgrass, dandelions, and over 20 other common weeds from sprouting. Plus, it also doubles as a fertilizer and releases proteins into the soil, feeding your lawn and making your grass healthier.
Sometimes weeds can be pretty unruly, and as soon as you pull them, they seem to sprout back up before you know it. If pulling weeds seems to be a never-ending battle in your backyard, sometimes it’s time to pull out the big guns: weed killer solutions. These products are potent and get the job done efficiently— the thing to keep in mind, however, is that these products don’t just kill weeds. Some can also kill your grass, so you’ll need to apply the product directly onto the weed, and then reseed the area after to fill in the bare patches. Additionally, many weed killers are poisonous to wildlife, honeybees in particular, and since these pollinators are beneficial insects that we want to encourage to visit our garden, it’s best to use weed killer in small amounts, only when necessary. Here are some different formulas available here at our St. John location:
- Weed Killer Spray — Spray solutions for weed control are easy to apply and make it easy to directly target your weeds at the base, avoiding surrounding grass and minimizing lawn damage. We have several solutions in store, such as our Bonide Weed Beater ULTRA, which kills over 200 broadleaf weed varieties. Two weeks after application, you can reseed the area to fill it back in.
- Weed and Feed — A combined weed killer with fertilizer will perform double-duty for your lawn, and our Green-Up Weed & Feed from Jonathan Green is a powerful solution with tiny granules that can get into all the nooks and crannies of your yard, killing weeds and the root and feeding your grasses. Apply it to moist grass, and feel free to reseed if necessary, at least four weeks after application.
Weed control doesn’t have to be a nightmarish task— tackle it head on with the right tools and the right knowledge, and those gnarly weeds won’t stand a chance. Come visit us at our garden centre in St. Johnand we’ll be happy to help you craft a plan of action to get those weeds out without damaging your lawn.