Now that cold temperatures are here, you can feed your inner gardener by getting beautiful indoor plants to accent your home. Houseplants of many shapes, sizes, colors and textures can satisfy that instinctual craving to be around live plants. Not only is keeping houseplants a fun recreational activity, it also promotes a healthier lifestyle in numerous ways. We get questions all the time regarding why houseplants promote a healthier lifestyle, so here are a few examples.
Here are some reasons you should think about keeping plants in your home.
- Provides more oxygen for the home.
- Increasing humidity. This is good during the winter months when the air in the home is very dry.
- Reduces levels of some pollutants, such as benzene and nitrogen dioxide. It can even filter tiny fecal matter particles out of the air.
- Reduces airborne dust levels. This is like another house filter.
- Reduces carbon dioxide levels.
To explain the benefits of houseplants in a simpler way, here is a conversation between me and a customer here at Alsip.
Me: Why have you decided to shop for houseplants?
Customer: It makes me feel comfortable to have plants in the house. Plus, I have read online about the health benefits to keeping plants in the home.
Me: How do these health benefits influence your life?
Customer: They help the overall atmosphere of the house because I have small children and I want them to grow up in a healthy environment. Plants actually purify and filter the air in your home naturally, and they provide oxygen.
Me: Are there any other reasons that you enjoy houseplants?
Customer: Plants are satisfying to look at. Tending to them brings therapeutic value as well as a calmness to the home.
Me: I did not realize the benefits of having house plants. You have made me think about getting them for my own home.