FRANKFORT: 20601 S. LaGrange Road, Frankfort IL, 60423 • PH: 815-469-1044
ST. JOHN: 10255 Wicker Avenue, St. John, IN 46373 • 219-365-0882
Monday - Friday: 9am - 9pm | Saturday: 8am - 8pm | Sunday: 8am - 7pm
Visit Alsip Nursery's pool department and speak to one of our knowledgeable staff about the full line of POOLIFE Pool Care!! Bring your pool water sample in any time for us to test. We want your pool water to sparkle and be safe!!
At Alsip Home & Nursery find everything you need to maintain a crystal clear swimming pool all season long with our full line of POOLIFE products!
Lounges & Floats
Swim Gear & Toys
Pool Start Up Guide
Preparing The Equipment
- Remove any water and debris that has accumulated on your pool cover during the winter.
- Remove pool cover and store in a safe place to avoid tears over the summer season.
- Hook up the pool pump and filter. Reconnect any hoses and electrical connections that may have detached. Be sure to follow the pool manufacturer's instructions.
- Make sure your skimmer, filter, pumps, drains and other equipment are clean and free of winter debris.
- Use the POOLIFE Deluxe Leaf Skimmer to scoop up all surface and submerged debris.
- Clean dirty pool walls immediately with the POOLIFE Curved Wall Brush.
- Bring the pool water up to the proper level (about halfway up the skimmer).
- Ensure all your hoses and electrical hookups are assembled properly.
- Turn on your filter pump. Chemically clean the filter if it was not chemically cleaned last fall.)
- Check the skimmers, drains and filters to make sure they are functioning properly.
- Use the POOLIFE Concrete or Vinyl Pool Vacuum to remove any remaining debris.
- Allow the water to circulate for at least 4 to 6 hours before preparing the pool water.
Preparing the Pool Water
After the pump/filter has run for 4-6 hours, take a pool water sample from at least 18 inches below the waterline to Alsip Home & Nursery, your Authorized POOLIFE Dealer in a clean, plastic container for a complete analysis. Also, it is a good idea to purchase new POOLIFE Test Strips at the beginning of every season. Start up chemical kits are equipped to treat up to 20,000 gallons of water, when you initially get your filter running. These kits give your pool water a "jump start."
Follow the label directions and your Lawn and Garden Green Team Expert, the Authorized POOLIFE Dealer's recommendations after determining what levels may need adjusting.
Removal of Metal
It is important that no metals are present in the water, as this could cause water discoloration and staining of pool surfaces. Add POOLIFE Intensive Stain Prevention, following label directions, before shock treating. Wait 24 hours before proceeding with balancing your pool water.
After the sun goes down and while the filter is still operating, shock treat the water with POOLIFE TurboShock, Super Shock Swim or Clean Shock.
If you choose to add stabilizer to your pool water, add the stabilizer before adding your primary chlorinator. First, have your Authorized POOLIFE Dealer test your stabilizer level - water in the pool should be above 65 degrees F for an accurate test. If it is between 20-50 ppm there is no need to add additional stabilizer; if it is below 20 ppm, and POOLIFE Stabilizer following you dealer's advice and label directions to adjust the stabilizer to a proper level.
Once the pool water is clean and clear and the water balance readings are within the recommended rages, it is time to add your preferred POOLIFE Sanitizer, (always read the label directions for dosage instructions). Choose from stick, tablets, or granular.
The morning after shock treating the pool, brush off any visible algae and add the initial dose of POOLIFE Super AlgaeBomb 60 or Algea Ban II.