FRANKFORT: 20601 S. LaGrange Road, Frankfort IL, 60423 • PH: 815-469-1044
ST. JOHN: 10255 Wicker Avenue, St. John, IN 46373 • 219-365-0882
Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 8 PM | Saturday: 9 AM - 7 PM | Sunday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Open Labor Day 9/7: 9 AM - 5 PM
Alsip Home & Nursery has one of the largest selections in the area of the highest quality house plants to make your interior space as interesting and soothing as your exterior landscape. Our eclectic selection of new and unusual plants combined with help from our knowledgeable staff can help make your home or office more beautiful and relaxing.
Pressure of hectic schedules, urging responsibilities and other factors cause fatigue and strain. Each day the typical person spends 90% indoors, thus depriving ourselves from the natural world and building stress from our enclosed environments. Treat incorporating plants into your decor the same as you would the paint color or carpet texture. When we fulfill our need for nature it helps relieve our stress and taps into a great source of mental and physical health benefits.
Most houseplants can be taken care of under these general guidelines. As varieties vary there maybe more specific information needed, but for a person who is just starting these would be general rules to follow.
- Indoor Plant likes bright indirect light. Direct sun is not beneficial for most plants.
- Keep plants at least 2 feet away from windows .
- Keep plants away from heating ducts and where doors are often opened.
- Allow the soil to dry about 1/3 in between waterings.
- Do not fertilize in winter months.
Spring and Summer Months
- If plant is kept inside bright indirect light, southern exposure.
- If plant is taken outside more shade is necessary, no direct light.
- Keep the soil moist but not drenched.
- Continue to water until water runs through the bottom of the pot.
- Protection from harsh winds is ideal for any houseplant, if on the patio.
- Keep plants away from air conditioning ducts, if there is no place other than by one, close the duct.
- Fertilizing should be done during these months. A houseplant fertilizer is best for indoor plants. Follow direction on the fertilizer, as to how much and how often.
In general repotting should be done every year. Repotting should be done when a plant is brought outside for the summer or taken in for the winter. Only go up 2 sizes larger than the pot it is in at the moment. If the plant is root bound, the roots should be pulled at to ensure outward growth of the roots.
Plants Make You Happy
Studies show that plants make people feel calmer and more optimistic. Hospital patients who face a window with a garden view recovered more quickly than those who had to look at a wall.
Plants Fight Fatigue and Colds
A recent study shows that by increasing humidity levels and decreasing dust, house plants can reduce fatigue, coughs, sore throats and other cold-related illnesses by more than 30%.
Plants Improve the Workplace
Large employers and work environment specialist agree that adding house plants can enhance employee health and morale. When one company integrated plants into its office so that no employee would be more than 45 feet from greenery, it resulted in enhanced creativity and increated productivity among employees.